- Norgren L, Hiatt WR, Dormandy JA, Nehler MR, Harris KA, Fowkes FG. Inter-Society Consensus for the Management of Periph- eral Arterial Disease (TASC II). J Vasc Surg 2007;45(Suppl S):S5-67.
- Spronk S, Bosch JL, Veen HF, den Hoed PT, Hunink MG. Inter- mittent claudication: functional capacity and quality of life after exercise training or percutaneous transluminal angioplastydsystematic review. Radiology 2005;235:833-42.
- Regensteiner JG, Hiatt WR, Coll JR, Criqui MH, Treat-Jacobson D, McDermott MM, et al. The impact of peripheral arterial disease on health-related quality of life in the Peripheral Arterial Disease Awareness, Risk, and Treatment: New Resources for Survival (PART- NERS) Program. Vasc Med 2008;13:15-24.
- Muluk SC, Muluk VS, Kelley ME, Whittle JC, Tierney JA, Webster MW, et al. Outcome events in patients with claudication: a 15-year study in 2777 patients. J Vasc Surg 2001;33:251-7; discussion: 257-8.
- Diehm C, Allenberg JR, Pittrow D, Mahn M, Tepohl G, Haberl RL, et al. Mortality and vascular morbidity in older adults with asymp- tomatic versus symptomatic peripheral artery disease. Circulation 2009;120:2053-61.
- Rehring TF, Sandhoff BG, Stolcpart RS, Merenich JA, Hollis HW Jr. Atherosclerotic risk factor control in patients with peripheral arterial disease. J Vasc Surg 2005;41:816-22..
- Hirsch AT, Haskal ZJ, Hertzer NR, Bakal CW, Creager MA, Halperin JL, et al. ACC/AHA 2005 guidelines for the management of patients with peripheral arterial disease (lower extremity, renal, mesenteric, and abdominal aortic): executive summary a collaborative report from the American Association for Vascular Surgery/Society for Vascular Surgery, Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions, Society for Vascular Medicine and Biology, Society of Interventional Radiology, and the ACC/AHA Task Force on Practice Guidelines (Writing Committee to Develop Guidelines for the Management of Patients With Peripheral Arterial Disease) endorsed by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation; National Heart, Lung, and Blood Insti- tute; Society for Vascular Nursing; TransAtlantic Inter-Society Consensus; and Vascular Disease Foundation. J Am Coll Cardiol 2006;47:1239-312.
- Tilloy E, Montaye M, Kee F, Bingham A, Arveiler D, Ruidavets JB, et al. Contribution of cardiovascular risk factors to coronary risk in patients with intermittent claudication in the PRIME Cohort Study of European men. Atherosclerosis 2009;206:563-8.
- Duran NE, Duran I, Gurel E, Gunduz S, Gol G, Biteker M, et al. Coronary artery disease in patients with peripheral artery disease. Heart Lung 2010;39:116-20.
- Sukhija R, Yalamanchili K, Aronow WS. Prevalence of left main coro- nary artery disease, of three- or four-vessel coronary artery disease, and of obstructive coronary artery disease in patients with and without peripheral arterial disease undergoing coronary angiography for sus- pected coronary artery disease. Am J Cardiol 2003;92:304-5.
- St-Pierre AC, Cantin B, Lamarche B, Auger D, Despres JP, Dagenais GR. Intermittent claudication: from its risk factors to its long-term prognosis in men. The Quebec Cardiovascular Study. Can J Cardiol 2010;26:17-21.
Watson L, Ellis B, Leng GC. Exercise for intermittent claudication.
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2008;(4):CD000990.
Leng GC, Fowler B, Ernst E. Exercise for intermittent claudication.Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2000;(2):CD000990.
- Wind J, Koelemay MJ. Exercise therapy and the additional effect of supervision on exercise therapy in patients with intermittent claudica- tion. Systematic review of randomised controlled trials. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 2007;34:1-9.
- Bendermacher BL, Willigendael EM, Teijink JA, Prins MH. Supervised exercise therapy versus non-supervised exercise therapy for intermittent claudication. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2006;(2):CD005263..
- Gardner AW, Parker DE, Montgomery PS, Scott KJ, Blevins SM. Efficacy of quantified home-based exercise and supervised exercise in patients with intermittent claudication: a randomized controlled trial. Circulation 2011;123:491-8.
- Fokkenrood HJ, Bendermacher BL, Lauret GJ, Willigendael EM, Prins MH, Teijink JA. Supervised exercise therapy versus non-supervised exercise therapy for intermittent claudication. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2013;8:CD005263.
- Sakamoto S, Yokoyama N, Tamori Y, Akutsu K, Hashimoto H, Takeshita S. Patients with peripheral artery disease who complete 12- week supervised exercise training program show reduced cardiovascu- lar mortality and morbidity. Circ J 2009;73:167-73.
- Makris GC, Lattimer CR, Lavida A, Geroulakos G. Availability of su- pervised exercise programs and the role of structured home-based ex- ercise in peripheral arterial disease. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 2012;44: 569-75; discussion: 576.
- Lauret GJ, van Dalen HC, Hendriks HJ, van Sterkenburg SM, Koelemay MJ, Zeebregts CJ, et al. When is supervised exercise therapy considered useful in peripheral arterial occlusive disease? A nationwide survey among vascular surgeons. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 2012;43: 308-12.
- Shalhoub J, Hamish M, Davies AH. Supervised exercise for intermit- tent claudicationdan under-utilised tool. Ann R Coll Surg Engl 2009;91:473-6.
- Jongert MW, Hendriks HJ, van Hoek J, Klaasboer-Kogelman K, Robeer GG, Simens B, et al. [KNGF-Guideline Intermittent Claudi- cation (author's translation)]. Ned Tijd Fysiother 2003;113:3-50.
- Frans FA, Bipat S, Reekers JA, Legemate DA, Koelemay MJ. System- atic review of exercise training or percutaneous transluminal angioplasty for intermittent claudication. Br J Surg 2012;99:16-28.
- Stewart KJ, Hiatt WR, Regensteiner JG, Hirsch AT. Exercise training for claudication. N Engl J Med 2002;347:1941-51.
- Fakhry F, van de Luijtgaarden KM, Bax L, den Hoed PT, Hunink MG, Rouwet EV, et al. Supervised walking therapy in patients with inter- mittent claudication. J Vasc Surg 2012;56:1132-42.
- Pavy B, Iliou MC, Meurin P, Tabet JY, Corone S. Safety of exercise training for cardiac patients: results of the French registry of complica- tions during cardiac rehabilitation. Arch Intern Med 2006;166:2329-34.
Myers J, Arena R, Franklin B, Pina I, Kraus WE, McInnis K, et al.
Recommendations for clinical exercise laboratories: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association. Circulation 2009;119:3144-61.
Skinner JS, Smeeth L, Kendall JM, Adams PC, Timmis A. NICE
guidance. Chest pain of recent onset: assessment and diagnosis of recent onset chest pain or discomfort of suspected cardiac origin. Heart 2010;96:974-8.
- Faisal AW, Abid AR, Azhar M. Exercise Tolerance Test: a comparison between true positive and false positive test results. J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad 2007;19:71-4.
- Megnien JL, Simon A. Exercise tolerance test for predicting coronary heart disease in asymptomatic individuals: a review. Atherosclerosis 2009;205:579-83.
- McDermott MM, Ades P, Guralnik JM, Dyer A, Ferrucci L, Liu K, et al. Treadmill exercise and resistance training in patients with peripheral arterial disease with and without intermittent claudication: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2009;301:165-74.
Gibbons LW, Mitchell TL, Gonzalez V. The safety of exercise testing.
Prim Care 1994;21:611-29.
- Ahmed AH, Shankar K, Eftekhari H, Munir M, Robertson J, Brewer A, et al. Silent myocardial ischemia: Current perspectives and future di- rections. Exp Clin Cardiol 2007;12:189-96.
- Zellweger MJ. Prognostic significance of silent coronary artery disease in type 2 diabetes. Herz 2006;31:240-5.
Ditchburn CJ, Hall JA, de Belder M, Davies A, Kelly W, Bilous R.
Silent myocardial ischaemia in patients with proved coronary artery disease: a comparison of diabetic and non-diabetic patients. Postgrad Med J 2001;77:395-8.
- Moskowitz RM, Chatterjee K, Parmley WW. Silent myocardial ischemia: an update. Med Clin North Am 1988;72:1033-54.
- Sayer JW, Timmis AD. Investigation of coronary artery disease in diabetes: is screening of asymptomatic patients necessary? Heart 1997;78:525-6.
- O'Connor CM, Whellan DJ, Lee KL, Keteyian SJ, Cooper LS, Ellis SJ, et al. Efficacy and safety of exercise training in patients with chronic heart failure: HF-ACTION randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2009;301:1439-50.
- Hambrecht R, Walther C, Mobius-Winkler S, Gielen S, Linke A, Conradi K, et al.
Table 2.Characteristics of included studies